passed by SOAS Students’ Union Today
Stop the Celebration of Tel Aviv while Gaza Burns
Proposed By: Sobhi Samour
Seconded By: Elian Weizman
This Union Notes:
1. That SOAS is hosting an event under the umbrella titled ‘Tel Aviv University Special Lecture Series marking Tel Aviv Centennial’ taking place at the same time as Israel is waging a war on Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
2. Israel is responsible for ethnically cleansing 750,000 Palestinians in 1948, on whose lands and properties, the state of Israel was later established.
3. In the process of Israeli ethnic cleansing, more than 400 Palestinian villages were partially or totally destroyed
4. In 1967, Israel occupied the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the occupation of which remains till today.
5. The Israeli government has built one of the most powerful armies in the world.
6. Since December 27th, the Israeli government is unleashing the full force of its military might in an all-out war against an essentially defenceless population in the occupied Gaza Strip.
7. That academic institutions and academics should uphold ethical principles and the universality of human rights.
This Union Believes:
8. Tel Aviv, as the seat of Israeli political and economic power, houses the masterminds of Israel’s longstanding policies of ethnic cleansing, racial discrimination and military subjugation. It is hence particularly emblematic of Israeli apartheid and colonial rule.
9. The existence and expansion of Tel Aviv are products of the Zionist project of erasing the physical presence of the Palestinians, their culture, heritage and memory.
10. These realities enumerated above are conspicuously absent from the Special Lecture Series and thus make the lectures political propaganda on behalf of Israel and its ongoing project of colonial dispossession.
11. That academic institutions should not provide platform for colonialists to promote the results of their atrocities and ethnic cleansing.
This Union Resolves:
12. To put pressure on the SOAS director and all relevant parties to cancel the series of lectures celebrating Tel Aviv centennial, as Tel Aviv represents a colonial city built on ethnic cleansing.
13. To support the letter sent to the directorate by The Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel.